Parent communication is key for elementary school teachers and administrators. Research shows that the home-school connection is vital for student success, and Remind allows for simple and effective communication that helps parents get involved in their child’s learning. Teachers can use their computer or mobile device to message a class or individual parent—without sharing personal information.
Help parents feel connected
- Include parents in everyday learning—attach pictures with captions throughout the day to show what students are doing in class.
- Send questions home to facilitate dinner conversations and reinforce subject matter.
- Translate messages to connect with parents in ELL households.
- Let parents know what to expect home so progress reports, report cards, and critical forms are less likely to end up at the bottom of the bag.
Address academic and behavior challenges
- Message individual parents to notify them when a student has fallen behind or missed assignments.
- Send academic tips home to parents to help them support student learning. Let them know the skills students are learning that week, share activities they can do with their child, and send home math and literacy tips to help parents engage.
- Communicate when students have demonstrated positive or challenging behavior.
Communicate logistical updates
- Send morning announcements to notify parents about picture days, library days, lunch menus, due dates, and special events.
- Add a room parent as a co-owner so they can send information to other parents about class celebrations and volunteer needs.
- Send timely information on transportation delays, inclement weather protocol, and schedule changes.
Increase parent turnout and engagement
- Schedule event reminders one week in advance of big events such as parent nights and conferences—then another for one hour before the event to get parents out the door.
- Share Remind with PTA leaders so they can invite parents to principal coffees, PTA meetings, and volunteer activities.
- Reach out to parents to request classroom supplies or volunteers.
Schedule morning reminders for weekly activities
It’s library day! Make sure those books make it into your kiddo’s backpack!
Extend learning beyond the classroom
We began our unit on the solar system today! Ask your child what “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Noodles” means.
Encourage parents to return important paperwork
Attached is the permission slip for next week’s field trip. It is due by Wednesday!
Build school community
Carnival is this Friday! This is our biggest fundraiser and we are still looking for volunteers for the concession stand. Please let us know if you can help!
Share schedule or transportation changes
Bus 276 is running late. Expect at least a 10 minute delay.
Send reminders about important events
Testing begins tomorrow. Ensure your student has a good breakfast and a book to read.